Stroud life dating sites

activities go on despite the lack of any real facilities." The hospital finally closed in 1989.

The site is now used for residential care accommodation and virtually all the old buildings have now been demolished.

In the 1730s, Ecclesfield erected a workhouse in a building on the site of former almshouses at the west of St Mary's Lane.

The Workhouse stands in a good situation, and the lodging rooms are tolerably comfortable, but not sufficiently sub-divided.

stroud life dating sites-28stroud life dating sites-44

In 1850-52, a new union workhouse was built on Salt Box Lane at Grenoside, with Aicken and Capes as architects.

In 1949, the nearby infectious diseases hospital became an annexe to the Institution, and by 1956 the two sites could house a total of 182 patients.

In 1957, the combined establishment became known as Grenoside Hospital.

The former casuals' block and labour yard survived until 2003 but are now also gone.

The entrance block is all that now remains of the workhouse era.

Leave a Reply